Hair Loss in Women: Causes and Treatment Options
- Posted on: Feb 9 2015
While hair loss is typically considered a problem exclusive to men, many women also deal with hair loss and thinning. In fact, the American Hair Loss Association estimates that women account for 40 percent of Americans who suffer from hair loss. Women dealing with the loss of their hair may experience balding, patchy spots, or thinned hair. Hair loss to any degree can have a major emotional, physical and psychological impact on a woman. Fortunately, there are a number of treatments available to help promote hair growth.
Causes of Hair Loss in Women
- Heredity: Genetics is a leading cause of female pattern baldness, accounting for an estimated 30 million cases of hair loss among women in the United States, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Women who inherit this condition tend to experience hair thinning in their 50s and 60s, and in some cases, hair follicles stop growing completely.
- Medication: Hair loss can occur as a side effect of drugs used to treat conditions including cancer, arthritis, depression and high blood pressure.
- Underlying medical conditions: A variety of medical conditions can cause hair loss or thinning including thyroid problems, autoimmune disorders such as Alopecia areata, scalp infections, and other skin disorders.
- Stress: Many individuals experience hair thinning or hair loss following a period of intense stress or emotion, such as a family death or serious illness, or rapid weight loss.
- Hormonal changes: Hormones play a large role in the growth of hair, and shifts in certain hormones can trigger temporary or permanent hair loss. For example, many women tend to lose their hair after pregnancy and childbirth, and during menopause.
Hair Loss Therapy
At the Center for Dermatology and Laser Surgery, we are experts in providing hair loss therapy. We have several different courses of treatment available, depending on the location and severity of an individual patient’s condition. These are some of the most common forms of hair loss therapy we provide, including systemic options:
- LED light therapy
- Topical medication
- Oral medication
Interested In Learning More About Hair Loss Treatments?
For more information about hair loss treatments, or any dermatology service we provide, contact the Center for Dermatology and Laser Surgery to schedule an appointment with one of our providers. We have two offices conveniently located at St. Vincent Hospital in Portland as well as Hillsboro, and can be reached at 503-297-3440.
Posted in: Skin News
Leave a response
You must be logged in to post a comment.